To help reduce stress and feel more joyful, try this very simple self-hypnosis exercise. It’s easy to do and can be done nearly anywhere, anytime you have a few minutes. When you take several short breaks during the day and practice self-hypnosis a couple of minutes at a time, you’ll find a reduction in tension and a new outlook on life.
1. To begin, find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed for the amount of time you choose to be in hypnosis. Next, sit quietly with your feet flat on the floor and your hands resting on your lap or on the seat to your side. Close your eyes.
2. Take three deep breaths in through your nose and exhale through your mouth.
3. As you continue your slow steady breathing, think to yourself, I have control over all relaxation in my body. I am the master of my body. I am the master of my mind. My body responds to my thoughts. I relax more with each easy breath that I take.
4. Continue to breathe slowly and deeply and as you do so, breathe in peace and exhale through your mouth anything that feels unlike peace.
5. Finally, when you perceive that your time is up, mentally say to yourself that at the count of five, your eyes will open and you will feel refreshed and more relaxed than ever before. When your eyes open you feel mentally alert, physically relaxed and ready to resume your activities with renewed interest and enthusiasm.
6. Count 1… 2… 3… 4… 5… and open your eyes.